Tuesday 14 August 2007

Hot dog, jumping frog

Blogger says "Say you live in Albuquerque, count the Smashing Pumpkins among your favourite bands, and like sushi. Blogger makes it easier to find people who share your interests."
But what if you don't? I like Albuquerque (it has three or four very good secondhand bookshops and a nice pub called the Cedar Tavern), but I've never heard anything by the Smashing Pumpkins and I don't like sushi all that much. Though I woud have said a year ago that I didn't like it at all. Now I quite like small bits of it in small doses. Give it time. Perhaps this time next year I'll be a sushi fiend in a Smashing Pumpkins T-shirt, living in the EconoLodge in Albuquerque, where dried leaves roll into the empty swimming pool. Come to think of it, I don't know where you get sushi in Albuquerque.
Stephen Donaldson lives there. You could ask him. Actually, many sf and fantasy writers live in New Mexico - the "Land of Enchantment", as the airport bus tells you, endlessly, on your way to the car hire lot.

Today's food: hamburger/spinach noodles with chicken, chilli, baby corn, mangetout, green beans, peppers, spring onions and ginger.
Today's books: Soon I will be Invincible/Spook Country
Tomorrow's destination: Croatia

No comments: