Thursday 27 March 2008

Paul Kincaid

Among the interesting things he said this evening was that what had given The Separation, by Christopher Priest, the edge over M John Harrison's Light in the Clarke Awards was the view that you would always enjoy reading the latter as the same book, but that Priest's novel was a different book every time you returned to it.

And I see what he means, and that that can be an attraction. Certainly, I love Priest's books (though I would rate The Glamour far above The Separation).

But Light continues to spill around me in umpteen different ways; Nova Swing has made it the more difficult to read it even from that (singular) point of view. I'd always thought that was the point of them.

With Harrison, I find myself going back again and again into the short stories: Egnaro and Gifco particularly enrage me. He won't agree, but I think the best work is in them and Climbers, and, of course, in The Course of the Heart. But the Viriconium fans have me outnumbered.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

The Course of the Heart is still my favorite Harrison.

mckie said...

and you are wise and strong and true to think so, in my view

Mark Reep said...

"The Gift" is a wonderful story too. And I miss Uncle Zip's Window.

museum of doubt said...

I agree about the short stories. Absolutely brilliant.